moderated Re: help changing my password

I noticed on the split topic you created that you did mention that you're using Windows 10.

If you are using a Local Windows 10 User Account, then:
--------------------

Reset your Windows 10 local account password

  1.

  2.
  3.
  4.
  • Use the following instructions to reset your local account password. Your local account signs you in on your device offline, but it doesn't link to your other devices. For a more complete experience, we recommend you sign in with a Microsoft account to access services like Outlook, Skype, and OneDrive on any of your devices. If you forgot your Windows 10 password, the easiest way to get back into your account is to reset the password for your Microsoft account
  • Reset local account password for Windows 10, version 1803 and beyond
  • If you added security questions when you set up your local account for Windows 10, then you have at least version 1803 and you can answer security questions to sign back in.
  • After you've entered an incorrect password:
    1
    Select the Reset password link on the sign-in screen. If you use a PIN instead, see PIN sign-in issues. If you're using a work device that's on a network, you may not see an option to reset your password or PIN. In that case, contact your administrator.
    2
    Answer your security questions.
    3
    Enter a new password.
    4
    Sign in as usual with the new password.

I you are using a Microsoft Account Linked Windows 10 User Account the easiest thing to do is open Settings, Accounts, and in the Your info pane activate the Manage my Microsoft Account link and go through the password reset procedure once you're logged in to your Microsoft Account.  The change propagates down to your Windows 10 User Account after it's reset there.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow