It seems like a combination of using Acrobat Pro’s OCR and opening PDFs with Word may be the best workflow to adopt.

Nobody has mentioned the auto tagging feature in Acrobat Pro. I have had very mixed results with it, and haven’t looked any further into the different tagging features that seem to be available in the application. Is it just not worth bothering with?

Jim

On 12 Mar 2021, 19:07 +0000, JM Casey <jmcasey@...>, wrote:

If you have adobe acrobat pro and use its OCR feature, I find that works really well, though the process tends to cause the computer to become unresponsive while it is working.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Benstead
Sent: March 12, 2021 07:58 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Resources for accessing PDFs with JAWS

Thank you all! That's some really helpful information regarding OCR. I had been using the OCR functions in Acrobat Pro, but I'll give what you suggest a run through, too.

I'm also interested in more general guides to PDF accessibility. I've got various PDFs here that don't need OCR done to them -- they are there on the screen as actual text -- but when I go to read them I still get stuck. Some won't read past the first page, for example; others aren't tagged (this is almost all of them!) and while I've had some success with the AutoTag feature in Acrobat Pro this certainly hasn't solved all of my problems. What I'm really looking for, I suppose, is a list of all the tricks people have developed to deal with PDFs that don't need OCR work, but still aren't accessible.

Jim

--

Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 at 22:57, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Scott,

            I really do not know how it differs from JAWS convenient OCR.  What I do know is that PDF X-Change Viewer has been an incredibly good, and incredibly accurate, OCR scanner that has worked very well on some pretty rough originals.  It also supports many additional language packs, at no cost, beyond English, French, German, and Spanish (if I'm remembering the four correctly) that come with the native utility.  I had a client who was a translator from Swedish to English and she used it with the Swedish language pack for documents that were in Swedish.  It does not, however, do any automatic language switching.  It presumes that a given document will be in a single language, so it wouldn't be good for, say OCRing an image scanned page from a language text where both languages are used interspersed on the same page.

             What I liked about it was that it was easy both to run the OCR and to save the resulting file such that you'd never have to do OCR again and could send it to others with the text layer already there.  I had my client who was a grad student send these to his instructors, and asking them to replace the existing image scanned PDFs with those with the OCR text layer so that later students who were blind or visually impaired would not have to do any OCR processing on them.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow