moderated Re: Working with people at disability help desk

David Diamond

The other thing is too, I think there are a lot of techs  who can’t think outside the box. If it’s not written down they’ve got no clue. A while back I talked to a tech because I needed something done, she fixed what needed to be done and I asked her why her co-workers could not do it.  She said sometimes if they don’t know how to do it, they just say, “We don’t do that, or it can’t be done.”  Which gets back to an earlier comment about not even trying. I’m not sure if I buy the reasoning of blaming the company for these people who are incapable of understanding what we want or need. Does the company go to these people’s houses and drag them out of their bed so they can work for the company? Now, I’m being facetious.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Wood
Sent: March 6, 2021 11:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Working with people at disability help desk

Hello,

Chip on my shoulder? I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic with that or not.

As a blind person/person with a disability, I am simply explaining what I have seen again and again, especially as it relates to the real world.

This goes well above and beyond accessibility. It is a question of how we interact with those around us and how one action by one person in our demographic, as it were, can change how we are viewed by general society. I am a very patient individual who is willing to educate, explain, and generally attempt to verse a person on what would help me accomplish a task, and I like to try and encourage those in similar situations to do likewise. I’m not a fan of yelling and screaming without identifying information on what  would make a product more accessible, make me as a person more or less comfortable, and encourage those around me to treat me as a normal every day person in a way that educates and helps them understand where I am coming from.

I am also willing to view our shortcomings – and that is to say we, as blind individuals, tend to do the exact same thing as those sighted people around us. Thus, we do not understand where *they* are coming from, at times, regardless of their explanations. Someone can try and explain time and time again what colors look like, but I will never understand it, apart from the most general sense.

Thus, if there are lights flashing on a router, and as that is how the tech support is trained to troubleshoot issues, yes, I am more than willing to try and get sighted help. In the real world, agents, and companies, would like to train people in a similar vein so there are no inconsistencies. This isn’t a slight against me. This is simple fact – much as I dislike it. I’m not going to refuse to do something because I need to reach out and ask for help, and that’s what I take issue with. It also very much depends on the support agent in question. I remember calling Netflix a while ago regarding a Talkback issue on Android. I ended up getting transferred right up the chain. By the last call of the evening, I had a gentlemen on the line who was willing to go above and beyond what his training provided. He ran talkback, took the time to ask me questions on how to navigate with it, and we went through the issues I was having together. This was after countless phone calls with support agents who continuously used every day references – click the three dots at the top right, etc etc. As much as we may think it may be their job to know our technology, we must also take into consideration that we need to have a general understanding of the terms they use so we can better help the person on the end of the line help us. That is, also, simple fact, and not a slight against us. It sounds easy now in hindsight, but patience can truly make or break these types of things. Take a few deep breaths, remember that the agent is simply trying their best to help.

Regarding agents from other countries – or who I struggle to understand – this can definitely add some frustration. They may be trying to tell me something and I am not understanding, or vice versa. It is not a slight against them, it is a slight against the company. The company put them in this situation, and thus me, too.

That being said, I’ve had some truly enlightening conversations that resulted in software or firmware fixes with those across the pond, as it were, so I’d also encourage not immediately dismissing them and explaining your issue as best you are able.