moderated Re: Working with people at disability help desk

David Diamond

Yes, I think anyone that takes offense at Brian’s comment is just looking for something to get offended at and is not secure within themselves.  I also think the basis of all of this is, if English is not their first language, they are thinking in their native tongue. We have 2 primary languages in Canada and I’ve frequently run into the problem of if English is not their first language, you could talk till you are blue in the face and they still don’t understand what you are saying and just parrot what they said before. It also depends on the person.  Some fool themselves into thinking they are good listeners when, they are just waiting till you are finished talking.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: March 6, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Working with people at disability help desk

Well said, Brian.

Love in Christ
Marty

From: Brian Vogel

Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2021 2:24 PM

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 02:52 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

HOW DARE YOU!

-
I'm sorry, Joseph, but the complaint is not entirely without merit.

I have nothing against non-US-technical support, but regardless of what offshore tech support is being used by a company, there needs to be some very careful vetting with regard to proficiency with the language of the country being supported.  That has been, on more than one occasion, sadly lacking.  And that is a problem, whether you care for anyone to express it or not.  And there's nothing anti-anything about noting that fact.  People put in a position to do a given job should be able to do it for the target audience.  Those who can't are often pushed there through no fault of their own, but that doesn't matter one whit to the person on the other end of the phone.

There is a reason that some companies are now using, in my case, "US Based Support," as a selling point.  And it's precisely because of the issues I've identified above, and that may have been inelegantly expressed earlier by Mich.

I don't think it's necessarily xenophobic, as much as pure frustration, at the root of these sorts of complaints.  I also imagine they occur in any country you can name where offshore technical support is in wide use.  I've had plenty of calls with T-Mobile support where the person assisting me was perfectly lovely and polite, but where it was clear they did not understand clearly what I as asking and I did not understand clearly what they were saying.  I'm not being xenophobic (as I have no idea of exactly where these individuals are operating from, and I have no problem with immigrants, period) but I am frustrated when that occurs.  And that's the fault of the company, not the tech.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

           ~ André Gide