moderated Re: Working with people at disability help desk

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 01:40 PM, Marianne Denning wrote:
I am the market for these companies and their staff must know how to communicate with me in a nonvisual way.
-
And they are employed to assist in getting "the fix" in the fastest way possible.

If it would take 30 minutes step-by-stepping through keyboard shortcuts, versus 1 minute if there's a sighted assistant they can use, they're only doing their job by asking if such is available.

That's the long and the short of it.  Those techs are not there to make you feel good or to do things only the way you would prefer.

Virtually all of them are proficient in communicating in a non-visual way, and do so routinely.  But their job, first and foremost, is to get your issue fixed using any tool at their disposal.  And one of those tools, potentially, could be a sighted assistant.  There should be no insult taken when one is asked whether one might be available.  I doubt that any help desk tech at a company like Freedom Scientific or on the Microsoft Disability help desk thinks that a blind person is incapable in any way.  I also doubt they ask about a sighted assistant for something that can be resolved in a minute or two and with a few well-known keyboard shortcuts.  But they have a job to do and, believe it or not, throughput quotas to meet.

           ~ André Gide