moderated Re: Need Microsoft Disability phone number!

Sherri

The phone number is 800-936-5900.  You can also contact them through Be My Eyes if you use that service.  Hope this helps.

Sherri

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, March 5, 2021 11:03 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need Microsoft Disability phone number!

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:15 PM, David Diamond wrote:

I was just making the point that some should not be working there because they are not good listeners.

-
Indeed.  At the same time, one does have to consider that everyone is a neophyte at whatever they may be doing at one time or another.  And, when it comes to tech support in particular you can get suddenly pulled in to an arena that's not "your usual."

For me, it's not so much that someone makes a mistake or does something thoughtless (as in without thought, rather than with intent), but what they do after that's called to their attention, and that attention calling is best done gently, initially.  But if clear hint after clear hint is ignored, that's when a dope slap is called for.

It was your observation "constantly" that triggered my dope slap comment.  It's easy, sometimes, to forget that you're talking to someone who can't see and you can and do slip back into, "Click the red X, blah, blah, blah."  But if you need to be reminded, more than once, in a given encounter that someone can't see and giving visual directions is inappropriate, you're asleep at the wheel.

One of the very trickiest things to learn how to do as far as listening is coming to know some of the things people regularly give as complaints, where they believe they're dealing with some known issue, but in reality they're asking about another.  It's a kind of "read between the lines" sort of thing, and having been an instructor in the classroom as well as doing lots of tech support I have learned to listen, but with an ear towards figuring out what's wanted as opposed to focusing on the presenting complaint in many cases.  It's something you can't teach, and it's something that makes a big difference.

           ~ André Gide