moderated Re: battery question

Randy Barnett

Yes that is true for IPhones.

On 3/2/2021 4:46 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
I think that when they are plugged in all the time, the device manages the
battery properly.
I had a Dell laptop on a docking station at work, and rarely got taken off
the dock, and when I did, the battery did well.
For example, Humanware recommended, with the trekker breeze, to keep it
plugged in all the time by the window to maintain the connection to the
satellites.
The nickel cadmium, and possibly the nickel metal hydrates as well had what
was called a memory, and if you didn't discharge them all the way, they
retained the partial charge getting to full as the capacity of the battery.

Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Barnett" <blindmansbluff09@gmail.com>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2021 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: battery question

This is not true anymore. Lithium ion batteries dont have a memory. It
is just the opposite.Keeping a Lithium Ion battery at 100% all the time
is not good for it.

On 3/2/2021 3:46 PM, Soronel Haetir wrote:
And note that this whole thing is a bad idea, Each time you run a
battery low (even if not to 0) the less charge it will be able to take
and so you will get less running time. Much better to run plugged in
if that is at all possible.

On 3/2/21, Mike B <mb69mach1@fastmail.com> wrote:
There's a little program called Stascom that you can run in the
background
that yu can set to notify you of every 20% decrease of battery useage.
It'll also notify you of battery charging in 20%increments.

This little program has all kinds of neat features but, the one I like
the
most is you can set it to automatically maximize whatever window that
comes

into focus. Check it out below.

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

What to know before installing the program

Please refer to the user guide, see the link further down, for
installation

instructions. It is recommended that users of older versions of the
program
familiarise themselves with the changes implemented in 2017.1.7.

SUMMARY OF PROGRAM FEATURES
Automation for the following tasks, all features customisable
list of 5 items
• Sound recovery on default audio device, preventing mute status and low
volume. Recovery volume level configurable between 5 and 100 percent;
• day / night volume adjustment on a schedule, volume levels and time
slots

customisable;
• maximising of windows, option available for specifying window title
exceptions;
• time announcements on the hour, on the half and on the quarter hour,
chime

with speech, chime only or disabled, all 24 hours configurable. Option to
specify user preferred chime sounds;
• all automated functions can be enabled or disabled, with detailed
configuration options available to suit individual needs.
list end

Individual hot keys for the following features
list of 10 items
• Open user guide in default browser;
• generate summary report of user settings;
• configuration window to specify user specific preferences for all
features;
• temporarily unload program from memory;
• audio mixer input and output details;
• password generator, unique 10 character very strong password with each
keystroke;
• calculation of word count on selected text in any editor or virtual
buffer

rendered text;
• extensive alphabetic list of Windows basic and advanced settings and
applications;
• Increasing and decreasing master volume output with 5 percent
increments,

ascending / descending audio tones to indicate new level.
• Easily insert accented and other special characters in any editor.
list end

General program characteristics
list of 9 items
• Automatic online check for program updates, can be disabled if desired.
Manual check for updates option available;
• support for multiple user profiles on one system;
• status messages and time announcements via user preferred SAPI5 engine;
• user-friendly interface for changing SAPI5 voice parameters;
• support for same SAPI5 engine used with screen reader and program
messages;
• optimised for NVDA screen reader;
• included dictionary file for NVDA to translate emoji symbols;
• small footprint;
• comprehensive user guide in HTML format.
list end

Stay safe and take care. Mike.