From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Soronel Haetir
Sent: February 24, 2021 02:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accessing video subtitles with JAWS

I don't know a general answer but do know on youtube I've encountered videos with accompanying transcription text where the text is highlighted in time with the progressing video. I actually find this particular set-up incredibly annoying to deal with because jaws reads the changing selection as the voice on the recording advances.

On 2/24/21, James Benstead <james.benstead@gmail.com> wrote:
Earlier today a friend of mine phoned me up to ask me about how JAWS
interacts with the subtitles on videos: both standalone video files
that play in apps like VLC, and videos that run in websites like YouTube.

I know that without very quick OCR, JAWS would always struggle with
subtitles that are "burnt in" to a video. But what about subtitles
that are included as a text file along with the video? Can JAWS access
these, and somehow synchronise them with a video as it plays?

In speaking to my friend it struck me that this isn't something I've
ever done, and that I don't know how to do it. My friend wants to know
because he produces educational videos for a publishing company, and
he wants to make them more accessible. It also occurs to me that
having JAWS read out subtitles could be used to create a form of audio description.

Do any of you know how to do this?

--
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

--