moderated Re: Accessing video subtitles with JAWS

Soronel Haetir

I don't know a general answer but do know on youtube I've encountered
videos with accompanying transcription text where the text is
highlighted in time with the progressing video. I actually find this
particular set-up incredibly annoying to deal with because jaws reads
the changing selection as the voice on the recording advances.

On 2/24/21, James Benstead <james.benstead@gmail.com> wrote:
Earlier today a friend of mine phoned me up to ask me about how JAWS
interacts with the subtitles on videos: both standalone video files that
play in apps like VLC, and videos that run in websites like YouTube.

I know that without very quick OCR, JAWS would always struggle with
subtitles that are "burnt in" to a video. But what about subtitles that are
included as a text file along with the video? Can JAWS access these, and
somehow synchronise them with a video as it plays?

In speaking to my friend it struck me that this isn't something I've ever
done, and that I don't know how to do it. My friend wants to know because
he produces educational videos for a publishing company, and he wants to
make them more accessible. It also occurs to me that having JAWS read out
subtitles could be used to create a form of audio description.

Do any of you know how to do this?

--
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

--