Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: Using Older Normal.dotm in Newer Office Suite

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:04 PM, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Mike. No, you can't transfer the normal template from Word 2010 to Office 2016 Pro. This is because they have a different format, and a different file extension. The templates in Word 2010 have a .dotm extension, whereas the templates in Office 2016 Pro have a .dotx extension.
-
Bill,

I'm sorry, but in this case, you're incorrect.  The Normal.dotm file is a special form of template that has existed for all versions of MS-Office since 2007 (I think, as that's when all the doc and dot files got X tacked on to the end).  It is separate from user created document templates, which are, as you note, DOTX files.

Normal.dotm should be located in C:\Users\{insert appropriate user folder here}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates and can be copied and pasted back in to that folder, or the equivalent folder for another user, if you want all of the changes you've made to your blank word document defaults over time.

DOTM and DOTX both have been in use for many years.  And if you're someone who creates document templates you'll have way more DOTX files.  Normal.dotm is generally singular (unless you've made a copy for backup somewhere).

           ~ André Gide