From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of John
Covici
Sent: Tuesday 23 February 2021 06:52
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Itunes with Jaws 2021

I think that was not the correct place to download the itunes
applications, just go to apple.com and download the installer from
there and maybe you'd get a better idea.

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:05:48 -0500,
Udo Egner-Walter via groups.io wrote:

Hi Marty,

You wrote:

It does seem that Freedom Scientific could spend more time configuring
JAWS to work with more commercial programs, or Apple could make their
programs accessible, but there are some incredibly talented script writers
out there that I am sure, could put something together that would make
iTunes a little more screen reader friendly. How about it anyone?

I understand your frustration very much as I sometimes feel very similar.
But unfortunately the problem is much more complex than just writing a few
scripts.

In principle, it works like this: The manufacturer of an operating system
sets the guidelines by determining which interfaces are available for screen
readers. The latest interface, for example, which is also used by all
applications from the Microsoft Store, is called UIA. Windows does provide
some support for standard controls out of the box, but this is not quite
enough for the screen reader to be able to handle them. For example, it is
up to the developer of applications to name the controls correctly, to
provide help texts or to give unique names to controls so that they can be
found on the screen via script.

And now imagine that an application uses its own components and these
components do not support these technologies. For example, any application
can draw a picture, put a frame around it and claim that is a button. But it
is not. And if the corresponding interfaces are not integrated by the
developer, it is not even possible to get informations such as the name.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the iTunes application from the Microsoft
Store yesterday. Some things could certainly be adapted and extended through
scripts. But when I look at the table, for example, where all the albums and
songs are displayed, no information is provided by the program itself. This
information is visible on the screen for sighted people, but the screen
reader cannot determine anything here. To my opinion either Freedom
Scientific nor scripters out there couldn't do anything, perhaps implant
some function to OCR the control or similar things. But these are hacks and
tricks and don't ground on the accessibility framework from Microsoft and
the correct implantation of this framework from the developer.

Kind regards
Udo

Am 19.02.2021 um 21:25 schrieb Marty Hutchings
<mhutchings152730@gmail.com>:

I am using iTunes latest version with JAWS 21 latest build and Windows
7. I have an iPod Shuffle 4th Generation, iPod Touch 6th Generation, iPhone
SE and an iPhone 8. Although it is a bit cumbersome, like it has been said
earlier in this thread, Tab And Shift Tab are your friend. The Alt Key will
get you into the menus, although nothing is spoken until you hit the Down
arrow after pressing Alt.
It does seem that Freedom Scientific could spend more time configuring
JAWS to work with more commercial programs, or Apple could make their
programs accessible, but there are some incredibly talented script writers
out there that I am sure, could put something together that would make
iTunes a little more screen reader friendly. How about it anyone?

Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with
William Shakespeare who said: "Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of
sound and fury, signifying nothing." From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020
-----Original Message----- From: Tony Sohl
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2021 11:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Itunes with Jaws 2021

Hi yes you are all correct apple has made no attempts to make their
itues software accessible with JAWS!

One solution I would do if you have aira is have them help you by
having aira log into the computer with team viewer and then telling the
aria agent what you ant to do for example moving music from widnwos
into itues and then having them transfer it to your iphone or ipdad.

I know most of you want to do thsi independently but Apple will not
make any changes to their program.

Unfortunately, if you have a mac then it works properly, howveer most
people wnat a pc and they should make changes to. I wonder if we should
all write apple and demand they fix this.

I know the NFB sued apple for accessability and maybe it's time for
that to hapen again or the acb necds to put a fire uncder them!

I hope this heops.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una