moderated Re: Most accessible antivirus or security suite with JAWS

Randy Barnett

I agree with Brian on this point. There's really no need for a third-party anti virus anymore. just as you really don't need see cleaner or any of those types of apps anymore. You can do it all within windows with built-in applications that are tested with windows.

Randy Barnett

On Feb 20, 2021, at 8:26 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 06:24 AM, Phillip Gross wrote:
And believe it or not I’m really not trying to attack someone’ else’s product of choice.
-
Nor am I.

But as a working computer tech I can say, without any hesitation, that third-party security suites can often cause unanticipated issues, and no one really knows why.  I have never seen Windows Security do this, which is unsurprising, as it's part of Windows and gets tested as part of it.

My main point is that what you hear about Windows Defender, or to be completely accurate I should say Windows Defender as implemented prior to Windows 8, is not accurate when it comes to Windows Defender or Windows Security as implemented since Windows 8.  The claims that Defender was a substandard option were quite accurate up through the Windows 7 era if you wanted "maximum possible protection."  This is no longer the case.  And for anyone, who likes anything, who wants to say something like, "But {my favored product} ranked above Windows Security in {specific lab's tests at a specific time}," I say look at more testing cycles and at multiple labs.  Where products rank changes from testing cycle to testing cycle and with precisely what is being used as the test samples.  The difference between number one and number five (or even number ten) on a top ten list is likely to be negligible in real world situations.

There are lots of good products out there, and there's nothing wrong with choosing a third-party suite if that's what you prefer.  But don't make the mistake of believing that one testing ranking for one testing cycle means that your chosen product will stay in that position, because it won't.  They all shuffle around.

Quietman7, a security expert who's a very active contributor on Bleeping Computer, wrote the following, which is well worth reading: Reflections on Antivirus/Antimalware Testing & Comparisons

Then, taking what he wrote into consideration, have a look at where your chosen security suite falls in the most recent, and a couple of previous, testing results for these (or other, there are more) antivirus/security suite testing labs:

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs  (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas  (360 Protection Testing Category)

           ~ André Gide