moderated Re: Asking a drop box question for JAWS.

Michael Massey

I also forgot to mention in my last post that my desktop pc running Windows 10 pro was unaffected by the outage.  I just have to figure out how to resync the folders in drop box to my laptop computer.  It’s one of those set it and forget it things.  I really didn’t try to resync the folders from my desktop pc to my laptop pc because my friend’s equipment failed so he couldn’t update his oldies shows.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2021 8:36 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Asking a drop box question for JAWS.

That is because you have to go to the Dropbox icon in your system tray, go to Preferences and tell Dropbox to use File Explorer and not their new Dropbox app which is not very accessible.

Here is what I do:

I press Jaws Key + F11 to bring up the system tray, go to Dropbox or press D and press enter.

You may hear that  you have to press enter again, if so do that and you should get a number of options you can tab through.

Press tab until you hear Access and manage your Dropbox settings Button, activate by pressing enter

Now from the menu which opens select "Preferences, this opens Dropbox preferences and you are on the General tab.

Tab and the first option is "Start Dropbox on system startup check box‑ checked"

Tab again and you get "Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox check box‑ not checked", this is most likely checked, not sure if it has to be unchecked, but I uncheck it.

Tab again and you get "Microsoft Office add-in", then "Show Dropbox as a save location in Microsoft Office check box‑ not checked", you can check or uncheck this as you please

The next item is "Dropbox Badge", it's a combo box which by default I think is set to "Always Show" and I don't think there is any reason to change this.

Now comes "Language", another combo box and I would leave it on "System Language".

This next item now is the most important:

Open folders in: Combo box‑

File Explorer

By default this says Dropbox, but since I believe a lot of the modern Dropbox app functionality is not that accessible I prefer that the Dropbox folder simply opens in File Explorer if I activate the Dropbox icon on the desktop and this is what determines this. Make sure it is set to File Explorer, tab to OK and activate it and you are now back to the old behaviour where pressing enter on the Dropbox icon opens your Dropbox folder.