moderated Re: Most accessible antivirus or security suite with JAWS

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 02:07 AM, Phillip Gross wrote:
only malware I have received in the past 2 years was missed by Windows Defender. Luckily a MalwareBytes scan caught it.
-
What kind of malware?

Unfortunately, because scanners catch PUPs now (Potentially Unwanted Programs), which are not malware, many see a PUP and think, malware.  That "potentially" is important.  Most things identified as PUPs are identified as such because, with the advent of the loathsome practice of software bundling, particularly for free programs, stuff ends up getting installed that wasn't done so with intent.  It is most often not malicious, but it is then, by definition, a PUP.  This is one of the reasons I strongly recommend the Unchecky utility.

The fact is that no scanner gets 100% of everything at any given moment in time.  What one catchs now, another won't catch until its next definition update.  It's the nature of the beast.  But unless you're dealing with a novel attack vector, which is the rare exception, virtually any scanner is going to catch it.

           ~ André Gide