moderated Re: Showing the leader in a table of contents

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 09:05 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
With too little vision to check for dots, I would stinkin' like to be told if they are there.
-
It is entirely possible that, way back in the versions of Word available up through 2003, that the leaders were actually implemented as a series of period characters of sufficient length, but now they're not.

I haven't done this, or played with it, but Word could now be using a graphic of dots of the appropriate width based on the length of the table item and the page number.

There is probably a way to get something said, but the fact that you know things align correctly is a very, very strong suggestion that "something's in there" to force the alignment of the page numbers to actually occur.  It would drive me mad were it to announce something like, "Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot," for the number of dots used in a given leader for each and every leader.  If you actually have a way of knowing that the leader function is activated, you can be assured it's there.

           ~ André Gide