moderated Re: versions of ms office.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
I bought a license to the retail version Office 2016 on eBay.  Maybe older licenses still exist.  The seller sent me the license key in an email and it worked to activate my office.  I really hope it’s legitimate.  Not sure how you really know.
-
I also have acquired my licenses for Office 2016 and one for Windows 10 Pro on the grey market.  Once you step out of buying direct from Microsoft or a well-known reseller of Microsoft license keys (like the ones you can get at Best Buy, Walmart, etc.) you have absolutely no way of knowing whether what you're purchasing is a legitimate license or not.  I have had any number over the years that would not work and where the seller was banned from eBay before I could even complain.  But at the prices available for grey market keys, it would take a very long time before I came anywhere close to paying what a brand new license costs.

As far as legitimacy, once I've presented a license key to the entity that controls the licenses, and it is activated by them, it's legitimate as far as I'm concerned.  They are the ones who hold the ability to either accept, or reject, a key.  They also are the "keepers of the databases" that should tell them if a given key is OK for activation/reactivation or not.  If they activate, who am I to argue?

On the Grey Market

           ~ André Gide