moderated Re: moving from 1 Google doc to another

I have never changed the defaults, and any time I open a document in Google Docs (regardless of the specific type, docx, xlsx, etc.) that gets opened in its own tab (or window, if you have your browser set up to use new windows instead).  Just closing the tab with CTRL+W throws me right back to the Google Drive tab to look for the next thing.  Mind you, if you open multiple documents the Google Drive tab will be several steps to the left of where you are, and if you don't close all the things you've opened you'll need to navigate back there manually.

           ~ André Gide