moderated Re: Voice Assistant not working on company issued laptop

Milton Ota

Hi,

If you are working on a computer that is locked down by an administrator, I don’t think the voice assistant will work as it needs to go out to the web to do some things which administrators in a work environment has locked.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via groups.io
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 5:33 PM
To: JFW List (jfw@groups.io) <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: Voice Assistant not working on company issued laptop

Hi all,

I sent the following message to Vispero support.  I havent’ heard back yet, bug wanted to share this to see if anyone else in a similar situation is having the same problem.

Hello,

I’ve used Voice Assistant on my home laptop.  Today was the first time I tried to use it on my Win 10 machine at work, using JAWS 2021.  I get the following error message after saying “Sharkie”.

The Voice Assistant has failed to connect to the service. Please check your Internet connection and try again.

I am on the internet, but on a laptop with no admin privileges and behind a firewall.  I can successfully use PictureSmart and Convenient OCR.  It seems all is set correctly in the Voice Assistant section of Settings Center.  So, are you aware of any issues with this working behind firewalls?  Could there be a setting I can change?

As an FYI, I already know of issues where our firewall settings mean my company IT guy installs my JAWS from the full install version for secure environments and I cannot download the manual into FS Reader.  Not sure if that same scenario is at play here.

Robin Van Lant

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114