moderated Re: Vocalizer and difference in pronunciation

Soronel Haetir

In this case even the full versions have problems, at least Samantha does.

On 2/1/21, Chris Hill <hillco@earthlink.net> wrote:
Hello.

Yes, synthesizers try to guess context, if they just pronounced words,
they wouldn't work near as well.  It becomes obvious when they guess
wrong.  May I ask why you are using the compact version of the voice?
These are always inferior to the real versions, and most hardware won't
have trouble with the full one.

On 2/1/2021 17:22, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io wrote:

Hi,

I’m using Vocalizer Nathan Compact with JAWS 2021.  This is not the
first case, but is striking today, so it prompted me to pose the
question.  I was reading through an Excel file for work of incoming
new hires.  I thought there was a typo, because the name of one of the
colleges was mispronounced if I read the cell.  If I read word by
word, it says the word fine.  I pasted the name into Word and the same
thing occurs. Reading in any manner except word by word, causes
Vocalizer to mispronounce it.  I’ve switched to Eloquence, Microsoft
Mobile, and VoiceWare, all of which do not have this issue.  As I
noted, this is not the first case. Do other people notice similar
issues with Vocalizer?  Is there a technical reason why a word would
be pronounced differently in word by word versus line by line or say all?

Here is the college.  The last word is the issue.  I have fixed it in
my dictionary manager for now by adding a third s to the word.

College of the Holy Cross

I really love the sound  of Nathan’s compact voice, but am quite
surprised by some of the strange pronunciations it has for common
words.  Even the opposite of “Female” is totally off and is the first
thing I adjust in a new dictionary file.

Using Windows 10, JAWS 2021, Office 365.

*Robin Van Lant*

KeyCorp Public This communication may contain privileged and/or
confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the
addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a
result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying,
distributing or using any of this information. If you have received
this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and
destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an
offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction
or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not
intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction.
Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or
other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or
accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital
Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it
current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not
necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities
representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets
Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National
Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are
offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services
are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No
Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com