moderated Re: Vocalizer and difference in pronunciation

Chris Hill

Hello.

Yes, synthesizers try to guess context, if they just pronounced words, they wouldn't work near as well.  It becomes obvious when they guess wrong.  May I ask why you are using the compact version of the voice?  These are always inferior to the real versions, and most hardware won't have trouble with the full one.

On 2/1/2021 17:22, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io wrote:

Hi,

I’m using Vocalizer Nathan Compact with JAWS 2021.  This is not the first case, but is striking today, so it prompted me to pose the question.  I was reading through an Excel file for work of incoming new hires.  I thought there was a typo, because the name of one of the colleges was mispronounced if I read the cell.  If I read word by word, it says the word fine.  I pasted the name into Word and the same thing occurs. Reading in any manner except word by word, causes Vocalizer to mispronounce it.  I’ve switched to Eloquence, Microsoft Mobile, and VoiceWare, all of which do not have this issue.  As I noted, this is not the first case.  Do other people notice similar issues with Vocalizer?  Is there a technical reason why a word would be pronounced differently in word by word versus line by line or say all?

Here is the college.  The last word is the issue.  I have fixed it in my dictionary manager for now by adding a third s to the word.

College of the Holy Cross

I really love the sound  of Nathan’s compact voice, but am quite surprised by some of the strange pronunciations it has for common words.  Even the opposite of “Female” is totally off and is the first thing I adjust in a new dictionary file.

Using Windows 10, JAWS 2021, Office 365.

Robin Van Lant

KeyCorp Public This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114