moderated Re: Vocalizer and difference in pronunciation

Soronel Haetir

Yes, I have noticed this. Sometimes the synthesizer is even correct
(English does have words that are pronounced differently depending on
context, though this does not strike me as such a case.

Eloquence was made to be usable at very high speeds while sacrificing
'naturalness', Vocalizer is intended to sound natural but cannot
achieve nearly the speed that Eloquence can and in the end it
generally does a 'good enough' job.

And yes, Samantha also mispronounces it in this instance, saying
something like 'croass'. There are a few '--ross' words that have an
'oh' but doing a quick search through a words list they are greatly
outnumbered by those using an 'aw'.

On 2/1/21, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io
<Robin_Van_Lant=Key.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,
I'm using Vocalizer Nathan Compact with JAWS 2021. This is not the first
case, but is striking today, so it prompted me to pose the question. I was
reading through an Excel file for work of incoming new hires. I thought
there was a typo, because the name of one of the colleges was mispronounced
if I read the cell. If I read word by word, it says the word fine. I
pasted the name into Word and the same thing occurs. Reading in any manner
except word by word, causes Vocalizer to mispronounce it. I've switched to
Eloquence, Microsoft Mobile, and VoiceWare, all of which do not have this
issue. As I noted, this is not the first case. Do other people notice
similar issues with Vocalizer? Is there a technical reason why a word would
be pronounced differently in word by word versus line by line or say all?

Here is the college. The last word is the issue. I have fixed it in my
dictionary manager for now by adding a third s to the word.
College of the Holy Cross

I really love the sound of Nathan's compact voice, but am quite surprised
by some of the strange pronunciations it has for common words. Even the
opposite of "Female" is totally off and is the first thing I adjust in a new
dictionary file.

Using Windows 10, JAWS 2021, Office 365.
Robin Van Lant

KeyCorp Public This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any
transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly
prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this
information. If you have received this communication in error, please
contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer,
solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or
sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as
investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price,
indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein
is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change
without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for
its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of
the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative
employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member
FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association ("KeyBank
N.A."). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital
Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails'
in the SUBJECT line.

--