moderated Re: JAWS getting sluggish/cutting out?

Dan Longmore

Hi,

Not too much you can do except be sure you have laptop on good hard surface so that air vents have clearance.  Most times this is not the issue but I mention in case.  If the cooling fan is not running excessively you should be fine.

Like others this may indeed be a JAWS issue.  Openbook, a freedom product, also does slow downs.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 5:37 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS getting sluggish/cutting out?

Hi Dan,

I do worry about whether it is cooling enough, but I don’t know what to do about that.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: January 28, 2021 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: JAWS getting sluggish/cutting out?

Hi,

Wondering if this may be an issue with your laptop that is affecting JAWS performance?

Some areas to consider:

How much memory do you have and does your ongoing work consume much of the memory?

Not often but at times the computer will not clear a program from memory even after it, the program, is closed.  Your re start of the computer fixes this issue.

Is your laptop being cooled adequately??

Laptops, especially newer, will slow the cpu if temperatures rise. (Thermo throttling )

Thus the performance of JAWS and other programs may be compromised.

Your issue may indeed be JAWS related however just a couple other ideas.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 2:15 PM
Subject: JAWS getting sluggish/cutting out?

Hi All,

I am not exactly sure how to describe this, but I will give it a go. I am running Windows 10 and JAWS 2021 – the issue isn’t specific to any program. It seems that after I have been working for a while on my laptop – for the morning – JAWS starts to get a bit sluggish by times. It is slow to respond when I press a key, and it is kind of intermittent. I also notice, at the same time that the sound is less sharp – I’m really not sure if that is at all helpful.

If I shut down and restart it seems to go away until a few hours later.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.