moderated Re: Crosspost: Question about new member

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 07:48 PM, David Diamond wrote:
Try imposing that rule at the job sight, you’d get a labour relations discriminatory charge against you so quick your head would spin.
-
Apples and oranges.

Personally, I value strong moderation with regard to topic focus.  There's nothing wrong with that.  And questioning a moderator or owner in public has been something "that just is not done" for decades.  The appropriate way to take up those issues is privately, and on Groups.io that's via the group owner email address.

I don't allow endless go-rounds, in public, of complaints about moderation.  You (the generic you) knew what the rules were when you joined, and if you spent sufficient time lurking have learned what the zeitgeist of the space is afterward with regard to zealousness (or lack thereof) of enforcement.  Issues with group administration are generally best not handled in public, and I won't handle them there when it's attempted.  But I don't ban instantly, either.  I'm just consistent about locking that sort of topic and saying there is one, and only one, mechanism that's acceptable:  writing to the owner address.

That was one of the reasons for my earlier reply to Gerald.  There is longstanding custom on the JAWS group with regard to moderation on topic focus being, relatively speaking, lax.

It's also a part of a member's responsibility to use the tools available to them to exclude content that they don't like if that content is acceptable in a given venue.

           ~ André Gide