moderated Re: Crosspost: Question about new member

Randy Barnett

There is a benefit I grew up sighted. very poor sight but now have no useful sight but some light sensitivity and have had to wear blinders several times over the years in various trainings. It is something I won't forget. It did help me and the instructors all agreed that having to wear them for long term helped them understand what we go through. Thousands of people do it all the time so If one person says it is not worthwhile then I am not to worried about it.

One thing Brian isn't thinking of is that a lot of the people that are being trained are in that first stage of loss. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't do it if they work with VI people.. Maybe they just can't do it...

On 1/28/2021 9:22 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

There has to be a benefit involved.
If for example, he thought he was going to lose much more sight, or all of
it, that may have motivated him more.
I think it was probably more beneficial for him to believe that you can do
something that he cannot.
The benefit for sighted trainers may be that they can keep their job.
I know that in Iowa and Nebraska, if new staff does not succeed their first
three months of training with them on, they lose their job.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Laura Shumate" <snowflake122188@gmail.com>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 12:46 AM
Subject: Re: Crosspost: Question about new member

Hi David,
I told my X husband one day to close his eyes for 1 hour he didn't
even last 30 minutes.
Laura Shumate
snowflake122188@gmail.com
Business Phone: 254-300-7667
Emergency Phone: 717-510-0684

On 1/28/21, David Diamond <Daviddiamond2019@outlook.com> wrote:
A guide dog trainer told me when she wore the blind fold for one day at
the
end of the day she had such a headache when she had to drive home. After
seeing nothing, all of a sudden she was flooded with visual information,
it
was over whelming to her.