moderated Re: Crosspost: Question about new member

Glenn / Lenny

In Nebraska and Iowa and some other states, the state rehab agency makes all new staff spend their first three months of work, in training with blindfolds.
The wind up not being experts in Blindness skills, but fair, and confident in teaching the skills because they know how well they work.
I think that TVI  as well as O&M instructors should be required to do this as well.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 12:40 AM
Subject: Re: Crosspost: Question about new member

Here is a twist, A group of O & M instructors were at a seminare with some of their students.  The power went out and they panicked.  They went so far as to put candles on the rug so they could be guided by the candle light.  One of their students offered to guide them, they declined.  Point?  This is already been touched on, it is one thing to teach a skill but when, as they say the rubber hits the road, does the teacher practice what they teach or does fear set in? I think it is excellent that a teacher of VIPs wants to join a list like this because it gives him or her insight into our world.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: January 27, 2021 6:57 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

I would make a different point about wearing blindfolds.

In any situation, but especially the Blind service industry, the blindfolds typically are not worn for empathy, they actually are or should be worn so the wearer can learn non-visual skills, independent of sight.

If a sighted person is going to be teaching Blindness skills, then that person needs to have confidence in the skills being taught.

Also, as far as being on a Jaws or any other list oriented to those who use the associated products, it could be anyone, like the guy or gal down the street who does not even use the product.  As far as rules go, although one could discriminate against the sighted, there would be no way to police it.

And really, who cares who joins any list, as long as they aren't a problem lister.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 8:39 PM

Yes, AT instructors have to spend a week or two blindfolded so they can empathize and understand what it is really like. without doing this they aren't able to really understand what it is like for us.

On 1/27/2021 5:44 PM, David Diamond wrote:

I agree with Brian.  At one of the guide dog schools, one of the days all students have to wear a blind fold or night shade from after Breakfast to supper.  This is generally a total of 8 hours.  Point?  So they rely on their guide dogs instead of their sight.  Tie in?  How will the sighted know about the problems the VI sector have if they are not aware of them.  It drove me nuts when someone on the Microsoft disability help desk told me to click on the yellow X.  Darling, if I could see it I would not be calling your department. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: January 27, 2021 5:04 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Well, unless there's some rule banning the sighted (in which case I should have been gone, long ago), I can't see this as a problem.

I think it's an excellent idea for sighted individuals working in the VI sphere to join and learn from the groups related to same.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.