moderated Re: Crosspost: Question about new member

David Diamond

For the trainer to wear a blind fold it shows whether the dog is indeed guiding them properly or they are in a sense directing the dog.  Some students have washed out at a guide dog school because they see an object such as a lamp post and to the sighted or ones who have residual vision it looks like the dog will run them right into it.  One student was constantly overriding the dog’s directions because he, the student saw the object and decided that the dog was not going to guide him around it.  I never forgot the incident where the person driving me to pick up supplies saw my guide dog and I headed for a cement garbage can at quite a speed, he said,, “I was too far away to yell out anything then your dog just took you around it.  I almost had a heart attack watching the entire thing unfold.” Getting back to screen readers, I do have some residual vision and can see things on the display it is just after about 30 seconds of reading something my eyes get tired, thus just use JAWS instead.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: January 28, 2021 7:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Crosspost: Question about new member

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 01:40 AM, David Diamond wrote:

This is already been touched on, it is one thing to teach a skill but when, as they say the rubber hits the road, does the teacher practice what they teach or does fear set in?

-
Fear sets in, which is entirely natural, as anyone I've ever known who was sighted and lost it will tell you.

I really don't get how there is not an understanding that sighted O&M teachers can know how to teach skills that they, themselves, are not using moment to moment, because they don't need to.  And when you don't need to do something, constantly, to negotiate your world it doesn't "come naturally" in exception circumstances.

We all operate with the sensory palette that we actually possess, no matter how we came to possess it, and if one of those is suddenly removed due to a temporary circumstance it tends to naturally make one uneasy, regardless of what one may know about compensatory strategies for that loss, even with in-depth knowledge in the abstract.

Think about how it would be for you to suddenly have no hearing by artificial means and have to operate in that way for a couple of hours.  It's not a realistic facsimile of how someone who's deaf actually operates in daily life if they've been deaf for any period of time.  Instant deprivation of a sense puts anyone who's experiencing it way off-kilter, and I'm certain a lot of people here know that all too well.  But that's not representative of what it is to live with it long term, as you adjust and become more skilled.  That's why I don't see why the "let's blindfold 'em" schemes are believed to be helpful or representative of anything other than "the panicked stage of being quickly deprived of a sense you normally depend on."  And I've seen very few panicked people be particularly good at anything.

           ~ André Gide