moderated Re: Using hyphen

Don Walls

Richard and Bill, thanks for your comments.  We all learned something today! (Smile)

Don

From: Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 11:38 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Using hyphen

It is saying “m dash” because a hyphen with a space on each side is an “M dash” WHICH MEANS THE SHORT DASH.

If it were a long dash, it would say “N dash.”

So, Jaws is accurately reporting the punctuation name.

A hyphen, in strict terms, is used to join two words together, so if you write hello-goodbye  with no spaces jaws, like most screen readers says “dash” when it really should say “hyphen”.

Dashes are used to separate words kind of like parenthesis.

A lot of authors seems to be using dashes in place of parenthesis, which irritates me, but what is one going to do.

That is why when you split a word with more than one syllable between lines you use a hyphen not a dash because the hyphen denotes that the word is supposed to be joined.

But screen readers are not grammar teachers.

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com