moderated Re: Using hyphen

Don Walls

Richard and Bill, thanks for your comments.  We all learned something today! (Smile)

Don

Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 11:38 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Using hyphen

It is saying “m dash” because a hyphen with a space on each side is an “M dash” WHICH MEANS THE SHORT DASH.

If it were a long dash, it would say “N dash.”

So, Jaws is accurately reporting the punctuation name.

A hyphen, in strict terms, is used to join two words together, so if you write hello-goodbye  with no spaces jaws, like most screen readers says “dash” when it really should say “hyphen”.

Dashes are used to separate words kind of like parenthesis.

A lot of authors seems to be using dashes in place of parenthesis, which irritates me, but what is one going to do.

That is why when you split a word with more than one syllable between lines you use a hyphen not a dash because the hyphen denotes that the word is supposed to be joined.

But screen readers are not grammar teachers.

Richard

Ralph's Observation:  It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: Using hyphen

Is it perhaps not saying “on” but the letter “nn (as in Norman).  If you type a hyphen with a space each side of it, that’s what it reads.

Don

Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 11:20 AM

Subject: Using hyphen

Hello,

I’m using Windows10 , Jaws2021 and Outlook2021 most recent versions.

Since the most recent update with Jaws2021 I will use a hyphen and when it is between two letters with a space between it sounds like is saying on. I then delete it and it then says dash.

Here is an example:

Hello – goodbye

Does this say on between the words? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Below is an example when I type the same as above, then delete the hyphen and type it back in.

Hello - goodbye!

Thanks,

Kevin

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.