moderated Re: I am totally embarrassed with my last email. I apologize. My computer will not update and can't install any programs on it now, including jaws versions 2019 through 2021.

Randy Barnett

Hi, you can reset your PC in windows 10. using the reset this PC in settings. I am on a win 7 machine right now so i cant check the steps. You can also download the windows 10 update assistant and it will reset the PC with your old programs and data or do a clean install. Both methods have this option. You should runSFC and DISM. Before doing a total reset. Here are the instructions:

Fixing “Weird Issues” under Windows 8 or Windows 10 Using the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM)

If you are having "weird problems" with any Windows system, the first thing you should do is to run the System File Checker (SFC).  Open a Command Prompt window using the "Run as Administrator" option.  The easiest way to do this is to hit the Windows Key, immediately enter the text “Command Prompt” and getting the Command Prompt desktop app returned as the first item.  Gain focus on it and bring up the context menu either via right click or hitting the menu/applications key [if your machine has one] or Shift+F10 if it does not then selecting “Run as administrator” from the context menu that appears.  Once that elevated command prompt window is opened, enter:

SFC /scannow

When it's finished look at its output to see if it found any corrupt files and whether it was able to fix them.

If SFC reports that it was unable to fix something, on Windows 8 and Windows 10 systems it's also worth running the following command, also in a Command Prompt window that's been opened with "Run as Adminstrator":

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM should be able to fix errors that SFC may not be able to fix.  If you wish to be really thorough, after running DISM, and presuming it reports that all has been fixed, shutdown and restart your machine and run SFC one final time.  The SFC result should be clean.

On 1/22/2021 12:48 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:

Hi all, I have been with the Microsoft desk five different times on this, and they finally told me that they couldn’t help me. They think I have a hard ware issue. I have been trying to get this computer to update all the windows update for month’s .now, and it just won’t update. I have jaws 2018 on it, but it is only part of the program. For example I have jaws 18 Om my desk top. When I hit enter on it, it doesn’t go to options, basic, etc. it opens to jaws, roaming, settings. I have a disc here with jaws 2018 on it, and it tries to install, but the install fails at   50%. I tried to install versions 19 through 2021 and they all failed at 50%.This computer used to be wonderful. I haven’t a clue as to what has happened to titlist there any way I can reset the computer, and get a   fresh start with it? How could I do that and keep the programs I have? Is there anything I can do? This is an ASUS computer, 3 years old? Thanks for putting up with my earlier emails. Jim.