Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: I am totally embarrassed with my last email. I apologize. My computer will not update and can't install any programs on it now, including jaws versions 2019 through 2021.

I am sorry you are having this problem. I believe it affects most of us over time. My suspicion is that you do need  to make a completely fresh install as a first step.

Then if problems do persist it does indicate a hardware issue though a computer engineer will probably want to run a utility like Belarc Advisor to get some information.

A windows reset will not, as far as I am aware, preserve your programs though you can preserve your data files. Others may be able to indicate a way of preserving your programs with a reset but I would personally not  recommend it if you are having problems as it is likely that whatever the issue is will persist.

It is a pain but re-installing all the software you need may be a chore that you will have to undergo to recover useful functionality on your machine.

You may need to run a key finder type program to make sure you have all the serial numbers etc of the software you have installed and then hopefully you can re-install what you need.

To avoid problems of this kind in the future you may want to consider investing in a disk imaging program.

With one  of these programs, after re-installing Windows and all your programs, at the stage you have your PC running perfectly you can create an image which you can then return to at any time if you have problems like this in the future. I used to do this but admit that the constant windows updates disrupts this approach. Ideally you need to image after each Windows update.

David G.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10