moderated Re: Interesting Microsoft Word Issue

Richard Turner

Once again, I agree with Brian, JAWS coming up with costom keyboard commands that do not add anything that the native program does already with existing shortcuts is annoying at the very least. People end up not knowing that the insert key exists because Jaws calls it the Jaws key. 
insert-numpad3 reads the status line. You may have to go into the Word settings and add word count back to the status line. 
Or just use the default shortcut Brian gave. 

Richard

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."
-- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

On Jan 21, 2021, at 8:29 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Tom,

Presuming that INS+NumPad 3 used to invoke the MS-Word Word Count dialog, you could just use the Word shortcut ALT+R,W.

If it didn't, I can't be of much help.  I know that sometimes JAWS does its own custom thing through scripting that makes information more easily accessible, and if that's the case you were probably not getting the MS-Word Word Count dialog.  But they also have had the habit, on occasion, of introducing a JAWS shortcut that is just an alternate way of invoking a native shortcut, and I hate that because it's generally unnecessary and the JAWS shortcut often saves zero, or sometimes one, keystroke over the native program command.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.