moderated Re: Interesting Microsoft Word Issue

Richard Turner

Once again, I agree with Brian, JAWS coming up with costom keyboard commands that do not add anything that the native program does already with existing shortcuts is annoying at the very least. People end up not knowing that the insert key exists because Jaws calls it the Jaws key.
insert-numpad3 reads the status line. You may have to go into the Word settings and add word count back to the status line.
Or just use the default shortcut Brian gave.

Richard

"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."

On Jan 21, 2021, at 8:29 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Tom,

         Presuming that INS+NumPad 3 used to invoke the MS-Word Word Count dialog, you could just use the Word shortcut ALT+R,W.

         If it didn't, I can't be of much help.  I know that sometimes JAWS does its own custom thing through scripting that makes information more easily accessible, and if that's the case you were probably not getting the MS-Word Word Count dialog.  But they also have had the habit, on occasion, of introducing a JAWS shortcut that is just an alternate way of invoking a native shortcut, and I hate that because it's generally unnecessary and the JAWS shortcut often saves zero, or sometimes one, keystroke over the native program command.

           ~ André Gide