moderated Re: Academic writing and JAWS

Jason White

On 17/1/21 6:30 pm, Terrie Terlau wrote:
I did my dissertation on an Apple 2C with Prowords  and made the heading levels and styles using Prowords commands. I did my statistics tables this way. It was very tedious but doable.

I wrote mine in LaTeX, which handled all of the formatting as well as the automatic citation and bibliography generation.

This is also what I now use when writing scholarship (e.g., a journal article or a book chapter).

Some people prefer Markdown instead (using Pandoc to convert it to other formats. However, I find that there are usually features I need which Pandoc Markdown lacks, but which are supported by LaTeX or by one of its numerous packages.

If you're using Windows/JAWS, then Notepad++ is probably the most similar text editor to what you're used to. Of course, if you prefer UNIX/Linux-style editors, as I do, then Emacs and Vim can be installed - even on a Windows system.

For bibliography generation, I maintain BibTeX files in a text editor. I tried Zotero at one point, but it wasn't as accessible or as convenient as I had hoped it would be. I've read that some people have had success with EndNote.

Zotero supports LaTeX, Microsoft Word and LibreOffice. It's definitely worth revisiting if the accessibility issues are addressed.