From: Soronel Haetir
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 10:27 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Listening to text with JAWS and reproducing it simultaneously: 3 specific questions

I assume you are talking about something like a phone script for a
call center or the like.

If so I suspect that is a tough one. I might suggest you find some
list dedicated to simultaneous language translation (that is, people
who can listen to someone speak and at the same time translate to some
other language).

If there is some way to learn that rather than some people can while
others simply can't then however they manage to get both parts of
their brain to not override would seem to apply to this situation as
well.

On 1/15/21, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj1038@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I have the following questions:

First, I normally listen to JAWS at 65%. Even after slowing it down,
if I try to listen to the text line-by-line, I find that by the time I
am done reading and have to speak, I am only able to retain 40-50% of
what I have heard. So I end up losing some content.
On the other hand, if I listen to JAWS one word at a time, I find that
I end up being much too slow, such that my speech sounds disjointed
and halting.

Second, I am wondering how your experience differs between verbally
reproducing new content [i.e. material you have never read before]
versus content you are already familiar with.
Put simply, would it pay to familiarize oneself with the content to be
reproduced beforehand?

Third and lastly, can you suggest some pointers for building up one's
capacity, to be able to get better at doing this i.e. listening to
JAWS and speaking out what it is reading at the same time?

Best,
Rahul
Rahul Bajaj
Judicial Law Clerk to Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud, Supreme Court of India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

--
Soronel Haetir