moderated Re: Listening to text with JAWS and reproducing it simultaneously: 3 specific questions

Dan Longmore

It takes some practice. I’ve been doing this for a number of years, I am a pastor, and use voiceover for my notes on Sunday. The concept would be the same with jaws however. Couple of things, be familiar with the content as much as you can before you start and if you can format the document in such a way that jazz only reads a small portion of any one time. Just before you are ready to start your next section advanced jazz and allow what you hear to be slightly ahead of what you’re speaking. You can do it be patient with yourself as it takes as I said quite a bit of practice.

On Jan 15, 2021, at 10:43 AM, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj1038@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I have the following questions:

First, I normally listen to JAWS at 65%. Even after slowing it down,
if I try to listen to the text line-by-line, I find that by the time I
am done reading and have to speak, I am only able to retain 40-50% of
what I have heard. So I end up losing some content.
On the other hand, if I listen to JAWS one word at a time, I find that
I end up being much too slow, such that my speech sounds disjointed
and halting.

Second, I am wondering how your experience differs between verbally
reproducing new content [i.e. material you have never read before]
versus content you are already familiar with.
Put simply, would it pay to familiarize oneself with the content to be
reproduced beforehand?

Third and lastly, can you suggest some pointers for building up one's
capacity, to be able to get better at doing this i.e. listening to
JAWS and speaking out what it is reading at the same time?

Best,
Rahul
Rahul Bajaj
Judicial Law Clerk to Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud, Supreme Court of India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford