moderated Re: Listening to text with JAWS and reproducing it simultaneously: 3 specific questions

Richard Turner

Well, the best way would be to be able to read braille at the rate you wish to sound good. That is what most call center employees do.

Next would be doing what you said, and practice, practice, practice.
You are trying to build up the skills like someone who does simultaneous translation like they do at the United Nations and have the speeches given translated by people in a ton of languages and the listener just has to select the correct channel on their headphones for their language.

Only, you are just wanting to repeat the same language.
It takes a huge amount of concentration which is very tiring.
You probably also want to be sure you are getting enough physical exercise as that helps as well with mental stamina.

Richard

Ralph's Observation: It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rahul Bajaj
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 7:43 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Listening to text with JAWS and reproducing it simultaneously: 3 specific questions

Hello,

I have the following questions:

First, I normally listen to JAWS at 65%. Even after slowing it down, if I try to listen to the text line-by-line, I find that by the time I am done reading and have to speak, I am only able to retain 40-50% of what I have heard. So I end up losing some content.
On the other hand, if I listen to JAWS one word at a time, I find that I end up being much too slow, such that my speech sounds disjointed and halting.

Second, I am wondering how your experience differs between verbally reproducing new content [i.e. material you have never read before] versus content you are already familiar with.
Put simply, would it pay to familiarize oneself with the content to be reproduced beforehand?

Third and lastly, can you suggest some pointers for building up one's capacity, to be able to get better at doing this i.e. listening to JAWS and speaking out what it is reading at the same time?

Best,
Rahul
--
--
Rahul Bajaj
Judicial Law Clerk to Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud, Supreme Court of India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.