moderated Re: Which Podcast Subscription Programs Can Be Used with JAWS?

David Griffith

That is fine to get that impression  and probably Speak On is not for you.

However to be clear for others possibly interested you are technically not at all correct.

Where content restrictions apply it is actually completely opposite to the issue you describe.

The main limitation for example with Tunein on Speak On is that it is unable to access UK Based BBC Radio national stations, though can still access  USA stations relatively unproblematically.

In my Audio Tutorials I provide a workaround for that particular problem if people still want to access national BBC Radio content through Speak On.

The Podcast Directory Speak On deploys is also a USA and not a UK service.

It is true that there is a virtual implementation of the BBC Sounds Podcast service  in the Speak On app which I think most people find valuable, but there are also link   to American services such as ACB Radio and other US. Providers especially in specific genres.

Of course you can also import any particular Podcast feed in addition to the pre-selected ones available from the provided web directory.

David G.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 13 January 2021 19:13
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Which Podcast Subscription Programs Can Be Used with JAWS?

It has been a while I just remember nothing on that suite was of interest to me.  It to me was like, I can’t stand Opera music, no matter where it comes from, it is still opera.  I don’t think any of the U S stations offered were of interest to me, no news, no sports. It still seemed a high percentage of what was on there was UK based.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: January 13, 2021 6:52 AM

Only the RNIB News and Magazine app is restricted to UK content, that is just 1 of the 10 possible apps available.

All the other apps can be accessed worldwide.

The Tune In radio app for example is US rather than UK based.

David G.

Sent: 13 January 2021 14:24

That’s nice, if you live in the U K.  But, a lot of us don’t. I myself did download Speak on a while back, then deleted it as it is strictly UK content.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: January 13, 2021 5:34 AM

Speak On Media Suite provides a fully functional Podcast app alongside a raft of other extremely useful apps for use on a PC, including eBook reading, Daisy Book and Audio Book playing and access to the RNIB online News and Magazine service for people in the UK.

There is a slight learning curve which is why I produced a series of Audio tutorials on Speak On.

These Audio tutorials are accessible now from within the program itself under the optional VI Podcast App under the community section.

You can download Speak On  and learn more on

Speak On Media Suite Home page

http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeakOn.html

my Audio tutorials on Speak On  are also available separately

https://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeakOn/MediaSuite/public/docs-r/AudioTutorial.html

David G.

Sent: 13 January 2021 07:02

Hm. That’s crap.

At first I thought spotify might be a pretty great thing, but started hearing not so good things about the company and their CEO. I wish artists could just all be on bandcamp. Unfortunately it’s not really great for older/classic stuff.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Miller
Sent: January 12, 2021 11:14 PM

Yes, I have tried to contact Spotify support, but so far have gotten no reply.

Rick Miller

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 5:59 PM

Rick already said he doesn’t’ use Apple.

Rick, why not contact Spotify instead? Freedom Scientific (or whatever they’re called now) may be able to do something on their end with the JAWS software, eventually, but that’s when or if they care or get around to it. Spotify support might be able to offer some suggestions, or they may even be interested in making modifications for accessibility, if that’s what’s needed.

Do you use the free version of spotify? I might give it a gander sometime.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Reyes
Sent: January 12, 2021 08:16 PM

Hi, I’m not sure if you use the iOS platform, but Overcast has a web player and I’m pretty sure that it’s accessible.

Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 8:08 PM

That’s what I have been doing, but I have just been wondering if JAWS could work with Spotify.  What annoys me about listening to podcasts using Spotify is that they always appear in descending, not ascending, order.  I have contacted this list and have asked if you could change that setting in Spotify using JAWS but nobody seems to know.  I’m going to contact Freedom Scientific again and suggest that they consider making Spotify compatible with JAWS.

Rick Miller

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 3:04 PM

It’s too bad Freedom Scientific is so ignorant of spotify. I haven’t messed with it so I can’t say how manageable it really is for a screen-reader user. I like podcasts nowadays, but I just go to their websites and download local copies of the episodes (not necessarily easily done with 8all* podcasts). If you use a desktop, you should be able to play episodes in your browser.

Sent: January 12, 2021 05:11 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Which Podcast Subscription Programs Can Be Used with JAWS?

Dear Listers:

I have just recently become acquainted with Spotify.  I have submitted to your list questions about how to use Spotify with JAWS  and nobody is being of any help.  Today I tried contacting Freedom Scientific and they say that they don’t have anything to do with Spotify.  In fact, I don’t know if they have even heard of it.  So I’m trying to find out from anybody if there are any places where you can subscribe to podcasts which are compatible with JAWS and which you can use JAWS with, such as creating and adding to music playlists or, when you find a podcast if you want to hear episodes in ascending rather than in descending order.  If any of you know of any such programs that are compatible with JAWS will you please tell me what they are?  I do not use Apple.  I use a Desktop PC, use Windows 10 and use JAWS 2021. 

Rick Miller

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.