moderated Re: laptop question

Madison Martin

I think it was new.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: January 11, 2021 7:02 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: laptop question

Hi Madison,
I had a friend who had this trouble, and I suspected that he had a virus on his
computer, because I had him boot to a live version of Linux on a thumb drive,
and it did not do that.
He reinstalled Windows and it did not do it again for a while, but he later had
the trouble again.
He eventually gave me the laptop to keep and I upgraded the OS and also
dual-boot to Linux on it, and it has been a good computer for me.
I think he was getting a computer virus that caused his anti-virus program to
run constantly, thus over-working his computer's processor, which made it heat
up and then the fan would run too hard.
If you got the computer new in March, then the fan probably isn't dirty, but if
you got it used, you might need to open the bottom near the fan and blow it out.
Glenn