moderated Re: JAWS 2021 and Pac Mate Omni BX 400 vis USB

Milton Ota

Hello,

That sounds great that you found the mini USB port on the left side of the PacMate display.

I think you are mis-reading the text that display when you connect the display to the computer.

It should read: pm display 40 3.70

That is the latest and last update that was available for the firmware of the PacMate display.

Now, we need to be sure of the problem why JAWS is not starting with your PacMate display.

First, you should make sure that no other braille display is connected to the computer, some may say this is not necessary but I found this to help by disconnecting my Focus and then getting JAWS to recognize the PacMate display.

Let go into the JAWS menu by pressing and holding down the JAWS key/Insert key and the letter J.

Now press the letter L or using the down arrow key, select Braille Display.

Make sure that you have focus on the PacMate display and confirm that you are using the USB port for the display.

You may need to go to modify setting by tabbing over and opening that choice.

Make sure that you set it as the default display and tab to OK. You should then be prompted to restart JAWS, and I hope you have a shortcut key for starting JAWS.

If you would like further help, live in the 48 continental states, I’m in Central time and will be available for a tandem session and phone call after 1:30 PM today.

Milton