moderated Re: Parler


JM Casey
 

It does matter though – just because corporations are “big”, it doesn’t make them so different from the “little guys” online in the 80s and 90s, who would sometimes ban people just because they didn’t like them or they screwed up someothing once. It happened to me plenty of times. The great thing about the internet is that you don’t have to rely on a platoform like that – and if nobody wants to host your views on their platform, you can just create a new one, or pay someone to do it for you. Publishers reject work from famous people all the time – of course said people are likely to blame the people rejecting their work, and not themselves or the work they do. Getting rejected hurts. These online platforms have never stated they were open to any and all content.

 

As someone who has uh, occasionally engaged in somewhat sketchy things on the internet, I would like it if people adopted a more old-school attitude toward internet usage and been more willing to adopt different sorts of platforms. We don’t necessarily have to rely on these big corporations and their platforms. We just think about them all the time because they appear ubiquitous. But that won’t be forever. While some of these corporate rules sure are crap, a nice thing about living in the 21st century is that we are in a time when nearly everything really is available somewhere. We just have to detach ourselves from these big monopolies.

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: January 10, 2021 04:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Parler

 

it doesn't matter if it's a government or a couple of huge corporations. if they're able to stop you from getting your ideas out to people it is stopping free speech. Senator Holly's book was dropped by the publisher because he said the wrong things according to those in charge. when the only way to get ideas out in this modern world is via publishers Facebook YouTube Twitter and apparently Amazon those who control the servers. Then they are able to stifle free speech. It doesn't have to be a government to stifle free speech and free speech should be protected even from corporations.I'm platforms like YouTube Twitter One platforms like YouTube Twitter Facebook start deciding what can be and not be published on their pages they are a publisher and the rules for publishers are totally different from the rules for web platforms. They have to abide by those rules. As corporations now pretty much control all speech in this country.

Randy Barnett


On Jan 10, 2021, at 12:41 PM, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> wrote:



Andy and All,

Keep in mind that it is not the government stopping anything, it is a private business doing this.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

From: Andy

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 2:14 PM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

The long term consequences of stifling free speech would be a lot worse than any speech.  The founders thought that free speech was so important that they made it the 1st amendment to the Constitution. Voltaire said, "I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".  i would suggest that you either read or reread George Orwell's "1984".

 

Andy

 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:03 AM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

I don't want to start a debate on deplatformming, which I definitely don't support, but I think this is why the open web is necessary, now more than ever.

On 1/10/2021 6:22 AM, Lino Morales wrote:

Bill. Parler is also been axed from the Google play store. They have an audio CAPTCHA. On the web it will be offline for a week cause in their infinite greatness Amazon pulled their survers they were using.

On 1/10/2021 2:14 AM, Bill Tessore wrote:

Actually, only the Parler app has been removed from the Apple App Store. being an independent company, Apple has no power to eliminate the Parler platform. One can still go to Parler.com and login there. As for signup accessibility, I’ve not tried that yet as I’ve been studying its About page and Policies statement. So I’ll hav to look into it. If it is an issue, then I’ll try pointing it out for resolution. It’s my impression the owner and company still value ALL their users enough to meet everyone’s needs they can.

 

Shalom,

 

 

Bill Tessore

 



On Jan 9, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Andy <wq6r@...> wrote:



What is interesting is that before that happened Parler was the number 1 download in the app store.

 

Andy

 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:53 PM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

As of Saturday, Apple suspended Parler (correct spelling) because it embraces threats of violence and illegality. If those are things you admire, you’ll need to look elsewhere.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: MeWe

I was ready to download Parlar until i saw a review on the app store that said that it is inaccessible for blind users because in order to join you need to solve an inaccessible CAPTCHA

Andy

.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:26 PM

Subject: Re: MeWe

All I know is it’s a social media site inspired by the increasingly blatant sensorial actions of Big Tech against users with opinions that contrast with the alt-left views of those companies’ positions, particularly with regard to political matters. Others are Parler.com and Gab.com. Also there’s a search engine that does NOT artificially search results based on how closely sites/companies adhere to, or how sharply others diverge from similarly far left ideals, like Google. com does. Shalom.

Bill Tessore




On Jan 9, 2021, at 2:14 PM, marilyn <tinkerbelltx@...> wrote:



Hello all,

I’ve never even heard of this app before I was asked to join it. What do you know about it? Any users? Opinions?

Thanks.

Marilyn

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.