moderated JAWS does not read selected text in Jarte

Mario

an acquaintance is having a problem that I'm hoping someone can help.
he is using Jarte, and when he selects some text to delete, it is not read back as selected like it does using Wordpad. he would prefer using Jarte because he can start a new document by simply pressing control+n and then use control+tab to switch to a different document.

I helped him disable Enhanced edit in the configuration for JAWS 2020 so it is possible to review the text.
is there another setting that can be modified to fix this problem?