moderated Re: Can no longer close menus in Edge

Adrian Spratt

Thanks, Mario. This workaround does the trick. In Edge, I need to add to your two steps an additional two presses of F6. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for a solution.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2021 11:30 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Can no longer close menus in Edge

sometimes this happens to me in Firefox or Chrome. to get back to the page, I press alt+d and then shift+tab.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Friday, January 1, 2021, 5:26 PM
Subject: Can no longer close menus in Edge Yes, at times, I have to tab around to get back to the page. Quite annoying On Jan 1, 2021, at 11:10 AM, Adrian Spratt <adrian@adrianspratt.com> wrote:

Hi. This problem started in Edge just the other day. For reasons I haven't yet figured out, an Edge webpage will be taken over by the Edge menu. No matter what I do, I can't close it. I've tried the alt key, escape and even control-F4, which only succeeds in closing both the menus and the webpage.

The menu may turn up after I've done an alt-tab to go into another window, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Friday, January 1, 2021 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: Please help with WinWord error...is it JAWS?

Shirley and all,

A week or two ago, my sighted wife happened to be alongside me when I restarted my computer. It was taking a long time. She saw a message saying that Office 2016 was being updated. JAWS did not verbalize it.

I set Office updates to automatic a long time ago. I was going to suggest making that change so that it happens during the restart process. However, that option isn't showing up anymore in my file menus.
Here's the best I can offer, based on what I could figure out just now:

While in Word, press alt-f.
Arrow up to "More options." Press enter.
Arrow up to Account. Start tabbing.
The update button should appear. Press spacebar and tab through the options.

I hope this gets you somewhere.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Friday, January 1, 2021 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: Please help with WinWord error...is it JAWS?

When that happened to me, it cured itself after a couple of hours.
At 09:19 AM 1/1/2021, you wrote:

Since it doesn't mention jaws, I would start with the obvious, something has gone wrong with your ms-word. I'd suggest finding it in add/remove programs which you can search for by hitting the windows key and typing add followed by the slash key. Once there, find your microsoft office, and try to do a repair on it.

On 1/1/2021 09:02, Shirley Tracy wrote:

Â

Hi List,

Â

This morning I opened a Word document and got the message “Office Updateâ€&#65533;, the same as I got one time last year (a couple weeks ago).
The last time it happened, I rebooted and it went away. This time, it did not. I cannot open any Word documents—keep getting error messages telling me the program could not open properly.
Is this something with JAWS or with Windows? How to fix?

Â

Shirley

Â

PS. I’m using Windows 10 and Word 2016. This didn’t happen before the latest update for JAWS and also for Windows. Not sure which is causing problem. Help!

Â

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.