moderated Rearranging headers in Thunderbird? Here's how!

Leo

How to rearrange  the column headers in Thunderbird?

Working on Thunderbird Version 78.6.0.

In order to successfully accomplish this, we have to bare in mind four Jaws commands. I use Jaws commands for Desktop layout, so if you are using a laptop, you can bring up the dialogue  called search for Jaws commands, and type a concise description for each one of them.

We require the following commands:

Activate touch cursor

Root Jaws cursor to touch cursor

Root touch cursor to Jaws cursor

Lock left button of the mouse

This is so much simpler  than it looks. What we are going to do is no rocket science, and it can be described as positioning the touch cursor right on the clickable element that we want to drag and drop, then  we root the Jaws cursor right to this point, and we  use the command to simulate holding down the left button of the mouse. Followingly, we move around using the touch cursor to place  the cursor in the insertion point in which  we want to drop our element, and lastly,  we stop holding down the left button of the mouse.

If you use a desktop as I do, make sure to turn off NumLock during all the drag and drop process.

Step by step instructions:

1.     Go to the first message in the list, and activate the touch cursor, Shift plus  NumPadPlus.

2.     Press left Arrow and the first item you will hear will be  “select columns to display,” keep pressing left arrow and you will find the column headers, date, junk status, read, etc. In case, the first item you hear  after pressing left arrow is “list,” press down arrow once, and press right arrow to move around the column headers.

3.     Go to the column header that you wan to drag,  and root the jaws cursor to the touch cursor, Jaws key plus shift plus NumPad minus.

4.     Now hold down the left button of the mouse by pressing jaws key plus  NumPad slash . At this point,  you are simulating holding down the left button of the mouse right on the element you want to drag around.

5.     In order to move around the headers and place the cursor in the point in which you want to drop your element, root the touch cursor to Jaws cursor by pressing  Jaws key plus shift plus NumPadPlus. Now you can Move rightward or leftward using the arrow keys again.

6.     When you find the place in which you want to drop your element, root the Jaws cursor to touch cursor by pressing Jaws key plus shift plus NumPadMinus.

7.     Finally, press Jaws key plus NumPadSlash to drop your element.

As a sidenote, you can monitor which cursor is currently active all the way down the line by using the command Alt plus Delete.

Ok, it may sound to such a tangled maze of rooting one cursor to another back and forth,  but here you got a couple of general notions about the process!

Basically, you use  touch cursor to move around the items, Jaws cursor to place the focus of the cursor both in the initial position and in the final position, and locking or holding the left button of the mouse both to indicate the action to drag and to indicate the action to drop the element.

I know this is not technically accurate from a visual perspective, but I’m neither a sighted nor partially sighted guy, and I believe is more relevant to describe actions from a functional perspective for the final user.

--
Leo

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”
― haruki murakami,