moderated Re: Jaws SMA

David Diamond

Segart, hope I spelled that correctly.  I understand where you are coming from.  Personally I got the previous SMA paid for by a government program.  I knew it was  running out so made sure of the cost and made sure I could cover the next SMA which takes me into 2022.  Some live from pay cheque to pay cheque and others do not prioritize properly. Every month the local food bank closes for cleaning the day after ones on disability get their cheque.  Where do these patrons of the food bank eat that day?  At the Chinese restaurant across the street where the average meal is around $15.  No, it is not handed to them, they pay for the meal.  Often on payday and after, for ones on welfare you see them at Starbucks. I never forgot when cigarettes were cheaper, a man could not buy meat because he had a pack or carton in his shopping cart.  The cashier kindly suggested he could put the pack or carton of cigarettes back so he could purchase the meat, he declined. Vices can be crippling.  Yes, I have mine too.     

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: December 11, 2020 8:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws SMA

Sorry, but I beg to differ and I certainly didn't mean to be rude. Yes, we all have our vices, you may have noticed I didn't even bring up cigarettes or alcohol, I was just making a point how inexpensive a Jaws SMA really is when compared to the little items in life most of us buy on a regular bases and often on a much more regular bases than a Jaws SMA.

As for being happy with 2019 that is great, but I believe you have been a Jaws user also for quite a long time and you probably got to version 2019 by buying SMA's. To think you can now stop and never buy an SMA again is probably a mistake. Windows 10 has been evolving very quickly, so much so that even now people who still have Jaws 2018 are not having a very good experience any more. This will in my opinion continue and that is exactly the reason why I am a very big proponent of just buying your SMA every two years and to keep up-to-date. Just last week a young lady from Manitoba was asking about upgrading from Jaws 2018 to Jaws 2021 and I believe here in Canada that was an upgrade cost of over $600 Canadian. Had she bought an SMA for 2019 and 2020 and, after Jaws 2020 came out bought a second SMA which would cover 2021 and next year's Jaws 2022, she would have paid two times $165 or $330 which is pretty much half of what it costs now. You could probably still buy an SMA to cover 2020 and 2021, after Jaws 2022 comes out next year you would first have to also find out from Vispero how much additional you have to pay to catch up again. This is just my opinion, but I just really don't think this is an item where one should try to save $6.875 a month as having full access to the latest version of Windows, the latest versions of Chromium based browsers and so on at least in my opinion gives me a lot more pleasure and satisfaction than I get from a couple of bags of Doridos or whatever is my poison.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2020 7:57 AM

Sieghard

You wrote:

"which is about the price of an expensive cup of coffee, a couple of bags of Doridos, a few candy bars and on goes the list of all the little items many of us buy on a regular bases but don't really need."

Excuse me, but that is a subjective statement that might reflect your views, but having a few pleasures in life is all some have, so your assertions are rude and egocentric.

But regarding Jaws, a good reason to keep ones SMA is that they might prefer to keep using that version of Jaws and not have it time out after a year, and perhaps they don't care that their copy of Jaws is out dated.

Personally, I'm happy using 2019.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, December 11, 2020 9:47 AM

The $90 is the subscription price in US currency, if and when Vispero offers a subscription based model here I assume it would be $119 or $129 per year depending on the exchange rate.

I believe in the US the Jaws Home SMA is $120 so just as with the $165 Canadian this works out to $60 a year with an SMA giving you 2 major updates so basically updates for 2 years.

But I also heard the cost for the SMA is supposed to go up, if and when and by how much I don't know, but I assume Vispero may like the subscription approach which means regular income even though it also means no more expensive one-time purchase costs for somebody who buys Jaws for the first time. Yes, for somebody who had Jaws for a long time it's currently cheaper to buy the SMA, but still paying $90 a year ($7.50 a month) in the US or $120 a year ($10 a month) here in Canada really is still a pretty affordable way to own Jaws. I always had a bit of a hard time understanding the complaints people had about Jaws being so horribly expensive to maintain, but currently in the US we are talking $5 a month if you break down the $120 SMA cost over 24 months and even people who are on some sort of income assistance and so on often spend more than that on less important things each month. At $165 this works out to $6.875 a month in Canadian Dollars which is about the price of an expensive cup of coffee, a couple of bags of Doridos, a few candy bars and on goes the list of all the little items many of us buy on a regular bases but don't really need.

Best regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 9:16 PM

Yes, it is, plus, if, for some reason, you are unable to pay for the SMA at the end of the two years, your JAWS won't go back into 40-minute mode, the way it would if you were unable to pay the $90 subscription.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 7:28 PM

Now, is that the home edition?  I scaled down to home and it cost me $165 Canadian.  Because I am registered with the Canadian National institute for the blind (CNIB) it made me tax exempt. Thus no taxes on the SMA. Now with all this subscription talk, it seems at $90 per year, it is cheaper to pay for 2 years of SMA at $165 rather then $180.    

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: December 10, 2020 7:04 PM

Last year I had Fusion, ZT and JAWS, I became totally blind so no longer needed Fusion and ZT so FS reduced my SMA to just JAWS for $150., well actually $120 because I purchased it during convention.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 3:59 PM

Just wanted to update with my experience:

I called Freedom Scientific because the SMA page kept on resulting in an error for me when I entered my serial number. I got connected to a representative fairly quickly and she explained that since I had Fusion that it would cost me $270 for two more years of updates (for ZoomText, Fusion and JAWS). I just wanted to report this for anyone else who may be interested in how much it would cost others in my situation.

Get those SMAs before January 1st!

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.