moderated Re: jaws dealer here in Canada

David Diamond

When I needed assistive devices, The CNIB said they would not help me unless I signed a contract with them to assess me, say what devices I needed, deal with them exclusively and the final was they had to train me. One of the things I needed was JAWS. I viewed that as extortion. For the sighted it would be the equivalent of not being allowed to look at merchandise in a store unless you contractually agreed to purchase it from that dealership/vender. IMO, I'd stay as far away from the CNIB as I could. It was their constantly trying to hit a home run with government agencies, as in insisting the client needed something a lot more then they really did. That was their undoing. If the client has no vision, they hardly need a computer with hi-tech video graphics.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharon
Ballantyne
Sent: December 7, 2020 9:49 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jaws dealer here in Canada

Hi all,

Another fellow Canadian here. I saw the letter Richard posted. I did deal with
Frontier computing in Toronto for many years. I wrote them in the summer
though and there was no response. I understand they are somehow under
CNIB. Does anyone have any recent experience with them or other vendors?
I, too, would like to update my SMA before year end, but do not know of
which vendors to consider and what a true price point is.
Respectfully,
Sharon Ballantyne
JAWS 2021 user, Windows 10