moderated Re: What is the best way to "label" an unlabeled button in an app?

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Richard. I don't think Custom Label is the answer. I think what you want is to create prompts.

The "Prompt Creator" and "Graphics Labeler" are used for labeling controls and graphics in applications.

Prompts are labels for controls in dialog boxes. Some of the time, JAWS does not read a prompt, or the prompt that is provided is not very meaningful.

Now, when you find a prompt like this, just assign the prompt you want JAWS to speak and display in Braille. And if you want a brief reminder spoken whenever

you move to a particular control, just add a custom tutor message to provide this information.

Creating a Prompt

To create a prompt:

Move to the control for which the prompt is not properly spoken.

Press CTRL+INSERT+TAB.

A dialog box appears to walk you through the creation of the prompt. On the first page, enter the prompt for the control as you want JAWS to speak it,

and then select Next.

On the second page, enter the prompt for the control as you want JAWS to display it in Braille, and then select Next.

On the third page, specify a Tutor message to provide assistance with navigation or the use of this control. If you leave the Tutor message blank, the

default message is used. Select Finish to create your prompt.

Note: You can also press INSERT+F2 to open the Run JAWS Manager dialog and select Prompt Create from the list to create a prompt.

Custom Labels

This is appropriate for labeling buttons and links on web pages.

Since you want to create a label in an app, not a web page, I don't think Custom Labels is what you want.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...