moderated Re: does a link leave a site?

Mark

In FSCast 191 (mp3, transcripts at heading 2 JAWS Power Tip) this question was answered. Copy and pasted here:

GLEN:  Time now for today’s Power Tip.  It comes from long-time JAWS scripter Dave Baker, who reminded those of us who should know better that there’s a feature already built into JAWS for knowing what the real address is of a link that you may encounter, either in email or on the web.  This is particularly important if those links point at things that, let’s say, would require you to log in.  And you wouldn’t want to click on it if it really was an imposter because the name of the link doesn’t necessarily represent what it’s really pointing at.  I’m sitting here in Microsoft Outlook now with a piece of mail open that says it’s from the U.S. Social Security Administration.

JAWS VOICE:  To view your most recent statement, please visit link www.socialsecurity.gov/reviewyourstatement.

GLEN:  Now, this link is probably legitimate.  But to make sure, once you have the virtual PC cursor focused on the link itself, press INSERT+F7.

JAWS VOICE:  Links list dialog, links list view, www.socialsecurity.gov/reviewyourstatement.  One of one.

GLEN:  Now, the only reason I said to position on the link is, if there had been more than one link in the email, the links list always positions on the link that’s associated with where you are in the virtual buffer.  So it’s just an easy way to get there quickly.  Now that I’m here, if I press INSERT+PAGE DOWN...

JAWS VOICE:  Https://www.socialsecurity.gov/reviewyourstatement.

GLEN:  So I heard the link, and I am now sure that that really points at Social Security.  But sometimes the links are much longer and much more involved, and it’s hard to make them out just hearing them as one single thing.  So you can turn on the JAWS cursor and get to the bottom of the page and read the link, word or character at a time.  So I’m going to press INSERT+NUM PAD-.  That’s going to route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor and turn it on.

JAWS VOICE:  Route JAWS to PC.

GLEN:  Now I’ll hit PAGE DOWN.  Now I’ll do a “say word.”

JAWS VOICE:  Https:.

GLEN:  And then I can just move on by word.

JAWS VOICE:  //www.socialsecurity.gov/reviewyourstatement.

GLEN:  So an easy way to always know what a link points at and never click on the wrong thing by mistake.  I showed it to you in Outlook.  It works equally well with links on the web.