moderated Re: Tutorials on Creating Accessible MS-Word Fillable Forms Plus Examples of Those Forms

mike mcglashon

Mr. brian:

Quoted:

I've been using fillable forms for a very long time now.  When I hand someone the electronic equivalent of a paper form, the only things I want them to be able to touch are the parts that you'd actually fill out were you using pen on a paper form.  No accidental removal of labels, checkboxes, etc., and fillable forms have "filled that bill" perfectly.

End quote:

I like your response to fillable forms, however, you stated earlier,

That,

You haven’t much experience with pdf fillable forms because you do not have a pdf editor which allows you to make such forms.

I believe you stated that your experience is within the word arena of making fillable word forms.

Maybe the answer lies somewhere in between.

I can see where sighted persons love pdf because they can take a picture of the paper form scan it in as image and be done with it.

Wouldn’t it be worth word to somehow take a pdf image and create a fillable form on the fly, resave the form as pdf and then we’d have pdf fillable forms?

I think it would be unreasonable, let alone impossible, to ask the “majority” sighted persons, to take “extra time” to create such forms, when the “majority” of persons using the forms are in fact sighted?

I do wish however, that sighted persons creating such forms by automation could be forced to create the accessible forms.  For instance, if someone creates a fillable form, there could be a “wcag” you know the supposed “guidelines” “not law” to automatically do an error check for specifically accessible characteristics, and when it fails, the thing wouldn’t even let them save it to their computer?

(kind of like a program compiler)?

They most  certainly would learn wouldn’t they?

I believe the guidelines, although not congressional law, could be implemented in some sort of automated way; hence, the sightee would either fix it till the compiler gets it right, or,

Risk losing their work altogether.  They’d learn quickly, wouldn’t they?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...