moderated Re: Strange Zoom Volume Issue

Pat Byrne

I was going to suggest the same thing Tom. Worst case it doesn't help - recheck the box.
Good luck.
Pat ByrneAt 09:18 AM 11/24/2020, you wrote:

Tim:

I want to be sure I am interpreting you correctly here.

Are you saying that my problem with disappearing mic volume in zoom is related to the fact that Zoom is set to adjust volume automatically?

I just want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I get in there and make any changes.

I should have pointed out last night that the problem also seems to be related to sharing the screen with the meeting host, although, once again, I can't identify a consistent pattern. It seems to occur almost randomly.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Timothy Appleby
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 4:54 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Strange Zoom Volume Issue

Hi there. In zoom, you can adjust your settings thus. Press tab until you hear setting button, wack enter or, press the space bar to activate, arrow down to audio, tab until you hear adjust your microphone volume automatically, uncheck this box. Your microphone audio issue should then be resolved.

I hope this helps.

Tim Appleby from Halifax Canada.

From: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io <<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 12:01 AM
To: jfw list <<mailto:jfw@groups.io>jfw@groups.io>
Subject: Strange Zoom Volume Issue

Hello, everyone.

Recently, I have been doing some online teaching via Zoom, and have noticed a very strange issue with my microphone volume.

For these meetings, I use a headset with an attached microphone. I have experienced this issue with two different headsets. Both headsets are connected via a USB port.

My issue is that when I'm teaching, my microphone suddenly looses volume for no apparent reason.

I can't identify a consistent pattern to these failures, but I'm told my volume suddenly disappears to the point that my audio is unintelligible.

Has anyone else had this issue in Zoom meetings, and if so, how did you solve it?

Is there something I can do to keep my volume levels more stable?

I'm using Jaws 2021 here on a Windows 10 PC. I also put Jaws in Speech On Demand mode as I'm conducting my classes, because they involve screen sharing, and I want to minimize Jaws speech when I'm navigating the screen. Fortunately, I have a HIMS Polaris Notetaker that I can use as a Braille display.

Thanks for any help!

Tom Behler

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.