Hi Thomas!

Thank you very much. It confirms that it should be possible. In the area where I live we don't have as many options when it comes to licencing Freedom Scientific products as in Canada or US. So I don't know if it's possible to get licences the way you describe it. Any way in our small school it'll be acceptable to use VPN since there'll not be many situations where they won't have access to Internet. Right now the setup is very simple. A laptop with the licence server and the clients with full admin rights connected to the same network. We don't use domains any more since the students net is completely separated from the workes network. I can see that Windows 10 have a built in VPN server. So my plan is to make sure the server always get teh same IP from the DHCP and ask to forward the specific ports neeede for that. Then I hope it'll work by connecting with the built in VPN clients at the clients PC's. I just hope it's possible to configure the clients or the server so that the VPN is used only for the licence and not for Internet trafic.

OZ0TE Jacob

On 2020-11-20 at 10:58 Thomas Stivers wrote:
Jacob,

You will be able to authorize your network copies of JAWS over a VPN as long as the clients can reach the license server. You will want to set the system environment variable LSFORCEHOST to the domain name or IP address of your license server. The clients will need ongoing access to the server as JAWS phones home regularly.

This setup is pretty frustrating as you or your users will constantly be getting dumped into demo mode whenever the VPN goes away. I reached out to FS about this issue and they set up my organization to be in their sponsored software program. The rep stated that this is available to organizations who have network licenses of JAWS, Fusion, or ZoomText. This way anyone with an email address at our domain can get an annual subscription to JAWS which will continue to be renewed as long as they are with the organization. These annual licenses of JAWS are not tied to the VPN at all. They will continue to work on subways, airplanes, Etc.

As far as I know this is all legal and above board as it was a result of me reaching out to FS tech support.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck!

Thomas