moderated Re: Strange Zoom Volume Issue

Cohn, Jonathan

Your best bet is to mute everybody else unless they are actively speaking, Zoom has some anti echo functionality that will lower the volume of Microphones that seem to be hearing content from another user. Or if you have sound output from the meeting on another device that your USB Microphone might be picking up.

If neither of these seems to be the cause, then I would suggest trying not to use JAWS 2021, as it has several new sound processing functions, and perhaps one of thee is getting in the way of Zoom.

On Nov 23, 2020, at 23:01, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Recently, I have been doing some online teaching via Zoom, and have noticed a very strange issue with my microphone volume.

For these meetings, I use a headset with an attached microphone.  I have experienced this issue with two different headsets.  Both headsets are connected via a USB port.

My issue is that when I’m teaching, my microphone suddenly looses volume for no apparent reason.

I can’t identify a consistent pattern to these failures, but I’m told my volume suddenly disappears to the point that my audio is unintelligible.

Has anyone else had this issue in Zoom meetings, and if so, how did you solve it?

Is there something I can do to keep my volume levels more stable?

I’m using Jaws 2021 here on a Windows 10 PC.  I also put Jaws in Speech On Demand mode as I’m conducting my classes, because they involve screen sharing, and I want to minimize Jaws speech when I’m navigating the screen.  Fortunately, I have a HIMS Polaris Notetaker that I can use as a Braille display.

Thanks for any help!

Tom Behler