From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of epierce@surewest.net
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:31 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: RE: Enterprise software

Given that employees (who are acting in good faith) have little or no real
legal protection from being attacked by enterprise software vendors with
political connections that have deeply evil motivations, it isn't apparent
to me why you would refer to the harsh realities involved in surviving in
the current, typically toxic workplace as "passivity".

I take it that you have no actual experience with worker representation, or
how accessibility is actually taken up in highly dysfunctional
organizational cultures.

The balance of power is usually overwhelmingly weighted against an employee
that dares to complain. Period.

Nothing will change until the existing, flawed architectures of the cash
cows products of large enterprise software vendors are redone from the
ground up with "accessibility built in". Until that paradigm shift takes
place (probably about the same time as world peace is established), the
vendors will viciously guard their profit centers and make sure that the
management (including the accessibility bureaucracy) of their customers
"buys in" to maintaining the status quo.

I hope you can "connect the dots" here. Again, the employee typically has
almost no power, and the employer and vendor have almost all the power.

A situation has evolved where customer management typically has a vested
interest in maintaining power by viciously suppressing any significant
internal criticism of problems with enterprise software.

I would be overwhelmed with happiness if you could cite cases to the
contrary of legal or administrative settlements that involve enterprise
software accessibility.

To give you some idea of the appalling climate for workers in many
organizations, please see the article at the following link:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/96/open_boss.html

"Is Your Boss a Psychopath?
Odds are you've run across one of these characters in your career. They're
glib, charming, manipulative, deceitful, ruthless -- and very, very
destructive. And there may be lots of them in America's corner offices."
BY Alan Deutschman
12-19-2007